- Moves and Mind of a Master. A choreography workshop with Mestre Jelon Vieira of DanceBrazil. [program details / description]
- Children’s capoeira classes all year round on Saturdays, workshops and graduation ceremony : Over 80 families have been served through this program at The Flushing YMCA, Queens, New York.
- Pier 42 Fall Festival : Capoeira performance and demonstration in downtown NYC.
- 38th Annual Batizado of Capoeira Luanda, New York, NY. Graduation Ceremony and Workshops at The New Design High School and Alvin Ailey School of Dance.
- Capoeira Camping Retreat at Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania.
- School Performance. Performed Capoeira and Afro-Brazilian dance for over 200 students at a public school in Brooklyn, New York.
CAPOEIRA CENTER NEW YORK - BROOKLYN OUTREACH PROGRAM
Teach the art of Capoeira to youth in underserved Brooklyn communities as a form of cultural enrichment.
Hold class twice weekly in a community space teaching capoeira techniques as form of martial arts and music.
Teach community / cooperation amongst the youth providing the understanding and importance of give and take and call and response through playing the game of capoeira.
Connect the youth to the greater capoeira community encouraging participation from capoeiristas in the NYC area.
The Brooklyn Outreach program is directed by Amir Reavis-Bey. Amir Reavis-Bey, known in the Capoeira community as "Maromba", began his capoeira training in 2003 and has trained under Professor Tiba Vieira of Capoeira Luanda at the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Extension in New York City since 2004. Geek by day, Amir is a Software Engineer and Civic Technologist; he builds web applications to improve how local governments service their citizens, increasing data transparency and fostering civic engagement. Amir has practiced the art of Capoeira in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro and Salvador de Bahia), Spain, France and throughout the United States. He has taught as a guest Capoeira teacher in numerous cities including Denver, Charlotte, Oakland and Atlanta. While residing in Atlanta (2009 - 2010), Amir regularly held classes teaching capoeira to adults and youths in under-resourced communities. Currently Amir assists and often leads classes at the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Extension. Amir achieved the rank of capoeira Instructor in 2015.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS
The work that we do and programs that we support are only possible through the generosity of those willing to support art and culture. Your contributions make it possible. THANK YOU!